jeudi 31 juillet 2008

Guillotine, mode d'emploi

There was a horrible story in the news today: a guy got stabbed then beheaded while traveling on a Greyhound bus somewhere in Manitoba. I read the article right after I woke up. The idea of losing my head came back to me when I was on my bike on my way to the coffee shop this morning. Imagination can be an enemy... Then I saw another really dark image - didn't take a picture, I should have - I one of the most beautiful (and old for vancouver) schools in the neighborhood being destroyed and there was a huge hole in the roof top. The school is being destroyed because, supposedly, it was rat infested. So instead they built a modern school that looks like an Autocad plan with weird 90s style angles. Just horrific. Although not nearly as horrific as the description of the murder that happened on Wednesday night... I thought to myself that the destruction of such a beautiful historic building (it is for Vancouver, believe me, the city is really young) is also a crime to some extent. I really don't get it.

As I was cycling away, I could hear the sounds of the destruction, trucks and cranes and bricks falling down. By the time I got the coffee shop, I had lost all my appetite.

The scene then reminded me of Guy Maddin's recent movie "My Winnipeg". There is sad scene of an old arena being destroyed. I never went to that school yet a part of me felt like Maddin when the arena of his childhood got destroyed.

Aucun commentaire: